Can Diltiazem be taken for high blood pressure?

Dr. Sagar Makode

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 22 Mar 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I am taking losartan for High bloodpressure 100 mg/day
I am taking lamictal 150 mg /day.

My BP stays about 145-150 over 80 . My doctor just prescribed dilitazem(sp?) to bring bp down.
Is this ok?
Answered by Dr. Sagar Makode 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Better option is Amlodipine

Detailed Answer:
hello,
Diltiazem is not drug of choice now a days as it can lower the heart rate. It used to given in the past but its less commonly given now a days due to availability of Better drugs. Better option is tab Amlodipine 5 mg once a day, which has less side effects and is of same class. So I would advise for Amlodipine instead of diltiazem. you can discuss this issue with your local doctor.
Also, weight loss, low salt diet, regular exercises, plenty of fruits will help in reducing bp.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng