Can Cortisone shots lead to flatulence, stomachache and constipation?
That was 2 months ago and I am still having problems, burping, passing gas, stomach pain, constipation.
I have had cortisone shots many times in the past with no ill effects. It has been about 4 years since my last shot. I went back to see the doctor and she said she had never heard of a cortisone shot causing constipation. I told her to look it up on Web MD, because a man had posted in 2015 that he had received a cortisone shot in his right sacroiliac and he had gotten constipated.
Can a cortisone shot cause constipation? Might it somehow numb the elimination system? These side effects seem to be wearing off as the cortisone shot wears off.
I am again feeling pain in the same sacroiliac. Also, I just went to my knee replacement surgeon and he told me I didn't need revision surgery, that the pain in my knees was cause by my sciatica. I did not realize there was a connection .
So I need another cortisone shot, but I'm afraid to get one. I suppose oblating the sciatic nerve would have the same effect OR WORSE.
Can a cortisone shot cause constipation?
Constipation can be a side effect of any of steroids including cortisone(though rare).
Constipation could be a side effect of any of steroid. Though its rare with shots yet it can be there. You just need to add a laxative for a few days.
Sometimes medicines used to treat sciatica also worsens constipation. Whenever a patient with haemorrhoid would overexert to pass stool it would cause rupture of small veins causing bleeding.
Most likely the patient is female and more than 50 years of age.
It just slows down the peristalytic motion of intestine hence causes constipation.
Are you taking any medication for sciatica? Pregabalin and Gabapentin used in sciatica can cause severe constipation in some cases.
Secondly, if you are having constipation post shot then you can take any over the counter laxative for a few days.
If you don't want to take a laxative to take psyllium husk (Fybrogel) two tablespoon full before going to bed. Its a bulk forming laxative and is natural.
I don't feel you need to panic too much just take the shot and a laxative for a few days.
Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Thank you for your very inciteful answer. That makes perfect sense! And yes I am female and 74 years old.
I am very encouraged by your reply. I did use some Mira-lax for a couple of days and I am eating an apple-a-day and raw vegetables, etc. Seems to be helping. If I have more problems, I think I will try some Metamucil as you suggested.
Thank you very much for your help.
God bless and take care, XXXXXXX
Oops - I'm sorry--I messed up. Please just write and say "hello" so I can get the "Close Discussion and Review Doctor" screen back.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Hypothyroidism and flatulence
- Shoulder cortisone injections flatulence
- Can cortisone cause constipation
- Flatulence bloating constipation stomach pain taken paracetamol cause of worry
- Lonazep and flatulence
- Cortisone constipation
- Flatulence and stress
- Smelly flatulence causes of flatulence
- Does seasonique cause diarreha or constipation or flatulence?
- Cortisone injections and constipation
- Suggest treatment for dizziness, fatigue and nausea when diagnosed with...
- What causes constant abdominal bloating after gallbladder surgery?
- Suggest remedies for chronic hiccups
- Suggest treatment for severe cramps and abdominal pain
- What does my HIDA report result indicate?
- Suggest treatment for diarrhea, low grade fever and abdominal pain
- Suggest treatment for symptoms of GERD
- Suggest treatment for severe acid reflux despite taking Nexium
- Does Tylenol Cold cause diarrhea when taken for cold and flu?
- Suggest treatment for multiple anal abscesses