Can Benedryl be taken for wheezing?

Dr. Prasad

Posted on Wed, 8 Jun 2016 in Elderly Problems
Question: Wheezing from pollen allergies I think

. Should I take Benedryl for wheezing? If not what?
Answered by Dr. Prasad 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Bronchodilators are better agents to treat wheeze...

Detailed Answer:

Benadryl are not effective to treat a wheeze, though it is a good antiallergic agent. Bronchodilator drug administered directly into the breathing track is a better choice in such situations.

Therefore I will recommend this patient to visit ER. Based on the severity of wheeze, the patient will be treated with bronchodilator agents with or without a steroid administered through a nebulizer. Intravenous medication is indicated in the most severe form of wheeze.

That being said, this patient should take benedryl now to stop further allergic reactions.

Hope I am clear. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad