Suggest treatment for sharp pain in the chest while having asthma

Question
I have asthma. It gets worse in the winter. It actually aches for several seconds and sometimes sharp jabs of pain that only last for same time and occurs two to three times a day usually. I use Proventil 2-4 times a day but no other asthma meds. I am a 73 year old male. I work out every day for 45 to 60 minutes with no difficulty.
Fri, 11 May 2018 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Suma Parinam 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Describe pain

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Where is the pain that you have? Describe it well.
Sometimes pain killers can aggravate asthma. So do not take any pain killers especially NSAIDs.
I still think it is better to rely on inhaled medicines may be even short acting steriods during winter months to tide the attacks. May be you can use regularly than during an attack to prevent them/

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for sharp pain in the chest while having asthma 15 minutes later
The pain is in my lungs near the top. It seems almost like a cramp at times with sharper stabbing pains occasionally. I had bronchitis about three weeks ago and still have some thick phlegm coming up. For several years I used a steroid inhaler twice a day but it seemed to get worse. I am trying to go without it. Do you think a nebulizer would be helpful? I usually take Tylenol for pain. Thank you for your reply so far.

Answered by Dr. Suma Parinam 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Nebulization with Ipratropium and Budecort helps

Detailed Answer:
Yes nebulization definitely helps. you should add Ipratropium (loosens the thick mucus)and Budecort (inhaling steroid). If you do not get them at least add Normal saline in the nebulizer and do it thrice a day.
Tylenol is not great for pain, tramadol is better but a prescription based.
Add short term bronchodilator to the steroid it helps.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for sharp pain in the chest while having asthma 24 hours later
Hi Dr. Parinam,

Thank you for your suggestions. I will discuss this with my Physicians Assist at our local clinic. It was helpful.
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Suma Parinam 34 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please close and rate my answer

Detailed Answer:
thank you. please close and rate my answer.