Can Balance Activ BV Gel help in treating recurring UTI?

Posted on Tue, 16 Jun 2015 in Women's Health
Question: I am 70 years old and am currently on 2x 10mg Vagifem per week. I have recurring UTIs often set off by sexual intercourse (I use Sylk as a lubricant). Generally these are not too severe and I take mannose daily to deal with them, but was wondering if I could use the Balance Activ Pessaries Plus on the non-Vagifem nights in the hope that they might help reduce the number of attacks. Many thanks.
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can use them.

Detailed Answer:

You can use the pessaries on the non-hormone days to help you. You may also discuss with your health care provider on the suitability to your body system as they are the better judges.

Try to increase the intake of liquids and if there is no contraindication, also the amount of fresh fruits. Please check if your sexual partner has any infection of the urinary tract or genitalia, which may be transmitted to you. If so, this needs to be treated and you should abstain from further intercourse until the treatment is complete.

Hope your query has been answered. Please feel free to contact for further clarifications. I will be happy to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Shanti Vennam

OBGYN