Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
161 Doctors are Online

Bypass heart surgery done. Taking medicine for high creatinine level. Looking for treatment, medication and diet

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1996
Answered : 328 Questions
My father, age 66 yrs, is having high Creatinine level - 5.42. First time high Creatinine diagnosed in 2012 February, it was 3.9. He was given medicine - Ketasteril, and after 6 months Creatinine dropped to 3. But now it XXXXXXX up high. His other findings -
Urea - 130, Uric Acid - 9, Sodium - 133, Potassium - 4.48, SGOT - 46, SGPT - 58. Left kidney is small (63mm) and right kidney has approx 4-5 mm sized calculi.
He is diabetic, but mostly sugar levels are within normal range. He had bypass heart surgery about 5 yrs back.
The doctor we consulted straightway said he needs dialysis. He said the diabetes medicine, Glyciphage made the Creatinine level go up. Now my father is taking Jalra tabs. But I saw online that Jalra should be avoided by people with kidney problems.
Please advise what treatment and medicines shold be followed with diet, before going for Dialysis. Looking forward to your help. Thanks a lot.
Posted Mon, 11 Mar 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Ravi Bansal 1 hour later

Your father is suffering from CRF stage 5, if he has breathlessness or poor appetite, he should be taken for dialysis. I think you should follow the advice of your doctor.

Ketosteril will not be useful now. His liver functions are also abnormal and needs investigation. Glyciphage is contraindicated. Please stop it. Jalra may be used in very low dose if patient is tolerating. Best is to go for insulin for sugar control under guidance of your doctor.

Diet: no juices, less salt, no raw tomato, restrict total liquids as per output. Rest all vegetarian diet and twice per week non vegetarian can be allowed. If his condition is fine, kidney transplant is also a good treatment option.

Further any specific drug doses are best decided by the treating doctor.

Hope I have cleared your doubts. If you have any further queries, let me know.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Nephrologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor