Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
135 Doctors are Online

Bump in crease of arm, soreness, oozing brown pus when popped. What could this be?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12753 Questions
I have a large bump on the crease of my arm. I have popped it a couple times and has gone down some, however its still there and is sore. And the pus that came out was brown. Do you have any idea what this could be?
Posted Fri, 28 Sep 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
The discharge of brown pus from the bump is suggestive of a bacterial infection in the area. You need to have proper systemic antibiotics to reduce the infection in the area.
Though it is good that you have cleaned and drained the abscess with antiseptic solution, I would have been happier if you had done this under medical guidance.

Skin abscesses are normally caused due to inflammatory reaction to an infection like bacteria or parasite. It can also occur due to foreign substance within the body (a needle or a splinter, for example). Abscesses may develop because of obstructed sebaceous or sweat glands, inflammation of hair follicles.

Since the abscess is large, you can apply warm compresses to the area for about 30 minutes, four times daily. And once the area is completely drained you can apply a bandage over the packing.

In addition, you will need to get antibiotics and anti inflammatory medicines prescribed by a Physician. And also check your blood sugars. People with high blood sugars are prone to develop abscess.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor