Suggest remedies for a furuncle on inner right buttock

Dr. Nishad BN

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in General Health
Question: So I have a furuncle (boil) on my inner right buttock - could potentially be a skin abscess. Its been pretty much the same for the last 2-3 months. Only real treatment I did was a week-long course of antibiotics (Flucloxacillin) - where i had 3 tablets a day for 7 days, which didn't really do anything. Doesn't really hurt, just slightly irritating, and when i press on it, say with a tissue, it bleeds. What can I do to get rid of it?

Oh I do not have any other symptoms - fever, chills etc, so i am confident it is nothing too serious, but again your thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated.
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Proper dressing and wound management is needed.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thank you for asking HCM.

I have gone through your query. If you provide a picture of the wound then it will be more helpful. Proper dressing and wound management will be needed.
If there is puss then dressing with glycerine magsulf and betadine ointment will be helpful to clear it. You can apply this on wound and cover with gauze pieces. If the puss is not cleared by this then you should consult your doctor to deride the puss and unviable tissues properly. A swab should be taken from the wound and send for culture and sensitivity. Antibiotics can be taken according to the report.
Once wound is clear from puss and debris then you can apply antibiotic ointments like T-bact.
Taking vitamin C daily also will be helpful for faster healing.

Let me know if anything not clear.
I am happy to help you.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad