Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
124 Doctors are Online

Bruise above the hip, tender lump. What might it be, advise?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Practicing since : 1989
Answered : 883 Questions
I'm 58. recently a bruise appeared on my left side, above and slightly removed my hip, equal to and about 6 inches from my belly button. there is a small lump that feels attached to something. it's tender to the touch but not painful. i'm in good shape, work out regularly and haven't strained anything. unless i touch it, it doesn't bother me.

what might it be?
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 4 hours later

Thanks for the query.

I would request you to kindly provide me with additional information as to understand your problem better:

1. was there history of trauma?
2. Does the bruise overly the lump?
3. Are you sure that the lump was absent before?
4. Do you have fever?
5. Is the appearance of the bruise healthy or unhealthy?
6. Have you taken treatment until now for the same?

Awaiting your response

With Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Bruise above the hip, tender lump. What might it be, advise? 5 hours later
1) no
2) it did but is fading
3) yes I'm sure
4) no
5) normal bruise
6) no.

Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 1 hour later

From the additional information you have given and assuming your umbilicus to be normal the lump appears to be a soft tissue swelling. It could be inflammatory or a benign soft tissue mass like lipoma.

Considering your age, a short duration of the problem it is difficult to judge the exact nature of the lump and the reason for bruise. It would be prudent to get it examined by a primary physician in your area. If he is in doubt the next step is to go in for a FNAC which is fine needle aspiration cytology that establishes the diagnosis.

Hope my opinion is of some help to you.

With Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor