Broke toe nail, now the nail growing inward. What is the cure?

Dr. Kalpana Pathak

Dermatologist

Posted on Wed, 27 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello Dr. Kalpana, I broke my toe nail while playing soccer about 2 years ago, after which the toe nail in my big toe has been growing inward. I've had this ingrown toe nail operated by 3 different doctors in Bangalore with no permanent cure and I was beginning to loose hope in getting cured permanently as the the nail that begins to grow out is extremely painful and it grows into the skin every time. They keep getting infected and ingrown no matter how I cut the nail or how many times I get it fixed. After reading the procedure (nail avulsion and lateral matrix phenolisation) that you posted to an earlier query, I now have a XXXXXXX of hope. I'd really appreciate it if you could recommend a dermatologist in Bangalore who would be able to perform the same.
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 13 hours later
Brief Answer: You may contact any dermatologist in your area Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXX, Thanks for writing to us. You have got your nail avulsed thrice and everytime it has grown back. This simply proves that the nail matrix on the side of abnormal nail growth was never destroyed or phenolised. Simple nail avulsion wouldnt solve your problem. We need to avulse the nail and destroy the matrix by applying high concentration phenol. This is a basic procedure followed by all dermatologists alike. If your nail has distorted and too cumbersome then its better to get full nail avulsion along with complete phenolisation of lateral as well as proximal matrix. You may even google nail avulsion with matrix phenolisation to understand the procedure. Now as far as dermatologists in Bangalore are concerned, you would be pleased to know that Bangalore is considered to be a hub for dermatosurgery. So you may discuss this option with any qualified dermatologist in your area. You may also visit dermatology department of any of the medical colleges in Bangalore and get it done. Nail avulsion is quite a common procedure routinely done by doctors in medical colleges. You may also use this website to see the contact details of doctors in Bangalore who specialise in dermatosurgery. Hope this helped. Should there be any clarification required, please write back. Take care