Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
175 Doctors are Online

Blood test shows typhi and paratyphi positive. What does it mean?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1996
Answered : 1815 Questions
Hi I am AAAA 32 yrs .I have done blooddest and it says s.typhi o positive 1/320 dil and s paratyphi A H POSITIVE Upto 1/160 dil what that means.
Posted Sun, 30 Sep 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 2 hours later

I am Dr. Ratnakar Kini and I would be answering your query.
The test you have mentioned is called Widal test.

It is done to diagnose enteric fever (commonly called as typhoid fever).
The Widal test is done to diagnose infection by Salmonella typhi and Salmonella paratyphi organsims.

The test is done to detect the antibodies to the above-mentioned organisms.

If the antibodies are present, then the test is marked positive. But antibodies can be due to present infection or even a past infection.

Serial dilution of the serum is used to do the test. The dilution starts from 1 in 20 and has a series like 1 in 40, 1 in 80, 1 in 160, 1 in 320....

A person is diagnosed with enteric fever (typhoid) only if more than 1 in 100 titer is positive for O and 1in 200 titer positive of H antigens. In practice, a titer of more than 1 in 160 is taken as positive for enteric fever.

Positive tests at lower titers only, may indicate older infection with the above organisms or cross-reacting infection.

Therefore, your test report indicates you have enteric fever.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you have more concerns.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Radiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor