Blood test shows typhi and paratyphi positive. What does it mean?
I am Dr. Ratnakar Kini and I would be answering your query.
The test you have mentioned is called Widal test.
It is done to diagnose enteric fever (commonly called as typhoid fever).
The Widal test is done to diagnose infection by Salmonella typhi and Salmonella paratyphi organsims.
The test is done to detect the antibodies to the above-mentioned organisms.
If the antibodies are present, then the test is marked positive. But antibodies can be due to present infection or even a past infection.
Serial dilution of the serum is used to do the test. The dilution starts from 1 in 20 and has a series like 1 in 40, 1 in 80, 1 in 160, 1 in 320....
A person is diagnosed with enteric fever (typhoid) only if more than 1 in 100 titer is positive for O and 1in 200 titer positive of H antigens. In practice, a titer of more than 1 in 160 is taken as positive for enteric fever.
Positive tests at lower titers only, may indicate older infection with the above organisms or cross-reacting infection.
Therefore, your test report indicates you have enteric fever.
Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you have more concerns.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What is a gastric blood test show
- Blood test showed hbsag positive abnormal what does it mean
- Blood test report showed vpm is 97 meaning
- Pregnant blood test showed 101 what are the risks
- Whats segs mean for blood test
- What blood test show infection
- Blood test showed positive for phenobarbital worrisome
- Blood test showed mild anisopoikilocytosis meaning
- What blood test shows thc
- Blood tests show positive for typhoid suggestions
- Elevated SGPT, SGOT and triglycerides. Taken Heptral and Udiliv. Please...
- Tiredness, loss of concentration, blood test shows low hemoglobin...
- Bloated upper abdomen, burping, history of chronic pancreatitis. Have...
- Blood test shows typhi and paratyphi positive. What does it mean?
- Abdominal pain, itching. Clean blood test. History of breast cancer. Are...
- Abdominal pain, done blood test and ultrasound. Kindly interpret results
- Tailbone pain, bruise on stomach, sore lower abdomen. Anything to worry...
- Constant nausea, negative pregnancy test, have Mirena IUD. Ovarian cyst?
- Poked eye with umbrella spoke. Eye gets sore and red. What do you...
- Diagnosed with chlamydia. Is it contagious through oral sex?