Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
191 Doctors are Online

Blood test showed high glucose serum. Will drinking beer affect the levels? Am I diabetic?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1978
Answered : 6714 Questions
I recently has a blood test and my Glucose serum reading was 315 mg/dl. i retested and it came out 325 mg/dl (both tests were fasting 10 hrs prior). So i have 2 questions . A. I drank about 10 beers (5% alcohol) and stopped at 11 hrs before testing. Will that effect my score? and question B. Does a reading of 325 mg/dl mean I have diabetes ? and last of all is a 325 treatable and come back down to normal levels with out testing? Also I am 5'10" and weigh 225 lbs.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 59 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.
Normally consumption of high amount of sugar or beer on previous day of testing may affect the levels of sugar but that can not make a non diabetic person into a diabetic person.The best way is to get your sugar levels done again and that too both the levels FASTING AS WELL AS POST PRANDIAL
Your levels of 325 mg means that you have diabetes
These levels of sugar are treatable by changing your life style and resorting to anti diabetic medications but you have to keep on having check on your sugar levels on regular basis so that the medicines can be adjusted accordingly.
Last but not the least,you have to have a comprehensive and thorough check up of your body which requires lipid profile,kidney function tests,checking cardiovascular status and getting an eye check up.
I hope to have answered your query however you can revert to me for any further
Thanks and best of luck.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Diabetologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor