Bloating, incomplete evacuation, constipation, blood in stool, unable to urinate completely. Treatment ?

Posted on Wed, 23 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I am 29 year old female, 166 cm and about 8 stone. I have been bloated for several weeks - sometimes I look pregnant. My bowel habits have changed. Even when I go to the toilet, I feel like I'm not emptying completely. Sometimes only tiny amounts of faeces come out, but then I'll need to go again after I've wiped myself. There is sometimes blood on the toilet paper and I get quite sore after wiping. From time to time, I pass mucus from my anus. I have also been feeling tired. Some days I get the urge to urinate much more often, but there doesn't always seem to be much in my bladder - it seems like the bloating is making my bladder smaller. I will often be able to pass more water once I have been to the toilet, or sometimes passing water will make me go the toilet a little bit more.
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 3 hours later

Do you get XXXXXXX bloody stools or streaks of blood along with stool?

Are your menstrual cycles regular?

You can have many condition depending on these symptoms
It can be piles or hemorrhoids, Ulcerative colitis.

Its advisable for you see a certified general surgeon or gastroenterologist for your problem.Who will most probably suggest you investigations like proctoscopy ,colonoscopy,barium follow through ,USG abdomen KUB,Stool examination.

Avoid any self medication or home remedies for these symptoms.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries.
take care.

Follow up: Dr. Sudarshan 10 hours later
Thanks. I get streaks of blood on the toilet paper - I don't think it is in my poo but hard to tell.

My menstrual cycles have never been regular.

I also had some pain on the right hand side of my abdomen yesterday.

Is there any chance this could be bowel cancer?
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 1 hour later

Good to hear from you again.

Mostly its not a cancer according to your description. But you should not take chances when you have a family history of Cancer.

Bowel Carcinoma presents with bleeding per rectum/ black colored stools/recent change in bowel habits/enlargement of moles on skin/ decreased appetite etc..

It would be better to get examined and evaluated by a Surgeon to come to a conclusion.

Hope this answers your query.

Follow up: Dr. Sudarshan 4 hours later
I have seen my GP this morning. She examined me and could not feel any lumps but agreed I am very bloated - she said there is lots of air in my abdomen and that my bowel feels enlarged even though I went to the toilet before my appointment. Is this normal? She has referred me for an ultrasound of my pelvic area and said to come back in 6 weeks if my bowel symptoms have not improved.
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 19 minutes later

Good to hear that you haven't got any lump in your abdomen and you just have bloated abdomen.
Rightly, she has advised you to undergo Ultrasound of abdomen and pelvis.

Meanwhile you can follow these measures:
1. Use mild laxative like Dulcolax tablet.
2. Avoid any fermented foods, pulses, cabbage, meat etc.
3. Drink a lot of water.
4. Take light meals frequently rather than single large meal.

Hope everything will be alright in weeks time.

Hope this answers your query.

Dr. Sudarshan

Dermatologist