Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
174 Doctors are Online

Are there any treatments for sexual anhedonia?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 466 Questions
I am a 5'10" 175 pound male with sexual anhedonia. Are there any treatments or cures for this?
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Men Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 16 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query.

Sexual Anhedonia is a rare condition characterized by inability to attain excitement from ejaculation or orgasm. It can be due to physiological or psychological factors as low levels of hormone testosterone, any illness, prolactin levels, depression etc. If a cause is ascertained it has treatment. The earlier you trip a visit to Psychiatrist the easier it is treated. It is rarer to have these issues at this age.

Consider getting a Complete hormonal work up done so that if any derangement present can be treated accordingly.

Some drugs such as Dopamine, Oxytocin do help in certain extent but a combination of psychological treatment along with medications can help in overall symptoms.

Kindly visit a Psychiatrist for thorough evaluation so that if required appropriate treatment can be started by use of prescription medications.

Hope this answers your query. I will be available for follow up.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Are there any treatments for sexual anhedonia? 58 minutes later
Thank you for your response. I did a complete hormonal work up at the doctor and it all came out fine. I have an appointment with a psychiatrist this Wednesday. Any questions I should ask at my appointment?
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 30 minutes later

Thanks for the follow up

If the hormonal levels were fine then definitely you should see a Psychiatrist.He would be better to analyze you as he would see you in person and can come to a conclusion after examining you.

Probably psychological treatment can help you in overcoming this issue.

I do not feel that you need to ask more questions as he would be asking you the history in detail which is very helpful in such cases.

Wishing you Good Health!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor