Are there any cases where the liver can be completely
Depends on the cause of cirrhosis
I understand your concern.
Cirrhosis is scarring of the liver tissue and is the common end result of different diseases and conditions. Cirrhosis of the liver can be caused by excessive use of alcohol, viral diseases (such as hepatitis B and C), autoimmune hepatitis (when immune cells attack their own and this is most common in women), metabolic liver disease (a chemical imbalance that affects the body's metabolism).
For a long time, cirrhosis has been considered a progressive and fatal disease, however recent studies have shown that cirrhosis in the early stages is reversible and curable.
However, this only includes the cirrhosis caused by viral hepatitis, autoimmune hepatitis and metabolic liver disease. Cirrhosis caused by excessive alcohol consumption is irreversible and incurable and it's only treatment consist of slowing down the progress of the disease.
I hope this answers your question.
Let me know if I can assist you further.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes weight gain while on Ontrintellix?
- Suggest treatment for loss of vision and vomiting
- Suggest treatment for metastatic melanoma
- What causes joint pain while on Requip?
- What causes redness and painful swelling in the eyes?
- What does my ultrasound scan report indicate?
- Suggest treatment for painful rash on the waist
- Does long term use of steroids affect a person's immune system?
- Suggest treatment for leg cramps and shortness of breath
- What do my creatine levels in blood indicate?