Are itchy buttocks and thighs signs of scabies?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: yes need help! my son is complaining of itchy buttocks and occasional thigh area. I have looked and it doesn't appear to be scabies, its not red or little bumps but def dark discoloration just from itching.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
may be a fungal infection

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

If there is itching in the anal region then using worm/parasite medication may be considered. This is one of the common causes of anal itching.
Albendazole is one of the common meds used but it may require a prescription

If the itching is not in this area, then it is possible that it may be a fungal infection though there are no obvious skin changes except the hyperpigmentation.

Because of heat, moisture and friction, fungal rashes can occur in these areas. Using an antifungal powder may help eg miconazole powder along with an mild steroid cream initially for a few days (4 to 5, eg hydrocortisone)

It can sometimes take 2 to 3 weeks for a fungal infection to completely respond with persistent use of medication
If topical meds fail, then oral antifungals may be needed

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 5 minutes later
def not anal area more on just buttock. dry discoraltion bur not red.
Brief Answer:
dryness in keeping with fungal infection

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Yes, in previous history stated that it was not red

The dryness was not mentioned but is in keeping with a fungal infection which can sometimes have a dry scaly appearance.

Please feel free to ask questions