Are high fever and dark colored urine signs of diabetes?

Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology

Posted on Wed, 9 Dec 2015 in Child Health
Question: HI, my son is 3 years old and has been havin high fever for a couple of days. His bloodwork looks normal (a slightly higher ERS) but his urine has ketones in it. When I was colecting the urine, I noticed that it is dark in color. I did a glucose strip test 3 hours after he had breakfast and the reading was 6.7 mmol/L. Can all of this be from his fever and illness or should I be worried about diabetes?
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Presence of sugar in urine only is not suggestive of diabetes

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for asking on this platform

I can understand your concern.Merely presence of sugar or ketone in urine is not suggestive of diabetes.
The children with diabetes present with history of increased thirst,increased frequency of urination or recent weight loss.I would like to know if there are any such symptoms.
Most common causes of presence of ketone in urine is ketotic hypoglycemia and febrile illness.In diabetes the blood sugar(fasting and random)should be above the normal limits.Please let me know the blood sugar values and also the other dipstick values .Sugar can be there in few other conditions also.
To me it appears to be transient due to this febrile illness.

Please get back with the answers so that I could be able to help you further.
Thanks and regards