Are headache, chills, body pain and fever signs of viral meningitis?

Dr. Kathy Robinson

Posted on Fri, 1 Jun 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: On Friday the 8th of December I began feeling run-down in the afternoon. I went home and went to bed around 8:00 pm. I woke up Saturday morning feeling quite ill. Fever, headache, stiff neck, chills, body aches (all over) extreme fatigue, it even hurt to touch my hair. I also had very little appetite. I literally stayed in bed this way until Wednesday morning. I had to go to work because I am only in my 2nd month of a new job. Each day at work was extrememly difficult. I went home on Friday night and went straight to bed. I slept from 7:30 pm until 10:30 pm Saturday! throughout the day my temperature got up to 102.4. I stayed in bed until Monday morning. I was still feeling very badly on Monday and Tuesday so I went to see the doctor on Wednesday. She suspected that I had viral meningitis and sent me home with a note to stay out of work until Wednesday, December 27th. She said to get as much rest as possible and drink lots of fluids. It has now been 1 week and I am still feeling pretty much the same. One minute I am sweating and freezing at the same time. My right ear feels like it is going to start aching and I have a swollen gland on that side as well. Friday (2 days from now) will be 3 weeks that I have been this sick. I have never been this sick before or for this length of time. Can someone help me?
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it can take quite a long time

Detailed Answer:
I am sorry that you are feeling bad for so long. While it can take quite a while (weeks to months) to recover from viral meningitis, I am somewhat concerned that something else is going on.
It is important to keep getting rest and drinking fluids but you also need to follow up with a doctor as soon as possible. You need an exam and blood tests to make sure that there are no other problems that are making you continue to feel ill.
If your primary care doctor is not sure then you should probably see a neurologist.
I hope you are feeling better very soon.
Dr. Robinson