Are head banging and finger flicking normal behavior in a child?

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Tue, 12 Sep 2017 in ADHD
Question: Hi doctor My 2.3 Years old Boy head bang wen he s frustrated and so finger flicking movements wen he s excited. Is it Common at this age .Also he just speaking few words because of that only is he exhibiting this symptoms or signs of autism and he s little hyper active apart from that he does not have signs of autism
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please revert back with answers

Detailed Answer:
Hi... I understand your concern. Head banging is very common in this age group. But usually children who do head banging like this at this age or more likely to develop temper tantrums and mild hyperactivity in future.

I have a few questions for you -

1. How is his eye contact?
2. How does he play - is it imaginative or stereotypic?
3. How is his interaction with peers?
4. How is his vocabulary - how many words does he speak?

Please get back to me with answers so that I can guide you through better.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 9 hours later
1.He has very good eye contact. 2.Not imaginative but sometimes in a day he will keep his hand like swimming after went to swimming one day 3.He mingled very well with peers 4.Vocabulary is very well only 6-8 words after stimulation. I was breast feeding him till last month I dono behaviour changes because of that he use to poke others eye when ever he is excited he will poke others eye.I am worried for his head banging n swimming gestures
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
You need not worry right now - but he will require follow up

Detailed Answer:
Hi... I understand your concern about head banging and swimming gestures which are very similar to stereotypic behaviour seen in autism.

As of now you need not worry about this because of positive points like good eye contact, mingling well with peers and good vocabulary.

But these cannot be left for themselves also. So, I suggest that he will require a follow if he is consistently doing this. But at the same time if you keep telling him not to do when he does that, he will definitely keep on doing it as a repetitive behaviour, because, he may find it interesting to find out what it is when you say don't do that.

Please get back to me if he has similar issues even after 3 months without creating or inciting his interest in that.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Follow up: Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 1 hour later
Doctor He do head banging only wen he frustrated that too not more than two times not daily .Also swimming like gestures also hardly 3 times a day or lesser than that .I mentioned wrongly vocabulary is not very well only 8 words as of now also heredity of late speaking also some times I do head banging now also wen I'm frustrated but not in front of him apart from this I never seen any autistic symptoms he s very attentive respond most of the times love playing with peer groups good eye contact .Head banging has been peaked also stereotype means very repetitive behaviour rite but he s not repetitive .He feels bored and frustrated wen he sits at home so because of that also he's doing that behavoiur
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
From what you say I don't think this is abnormal

Detailed Answer:
Hi... thank you for the explanation. From what you say I don't think this is of clinical significance. Please get back to me if there are any further queries regarding this or any other health issue related to your son.

I wish your kid a bright future. If you need any future medical consultation and suggestions, I will be glad to help. You can approach me at the following link.

Once the page opens there will be an option below my image as – ASK ME A QUESTION – click on it.

Please find the link below -

www.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-sumanth-amperayani/67696

Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Follow up: Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 14 minutes later
Thanks doctor let me know whether head banging and speech delay also comes from heredity and how to control these behaviours. Also whether Autism is a curable one .Tell me best way to divert kid .Will long term breast feeding cause behavioural problems was feeding till 2.4 Years
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Suggestions on head banging and language delay / autism

Detailed Answer:
Hi...

1. Head banging may not be genetically mediated unless associated with a known genetic syndrome. There is no evidence to say that isolated head banging is genetically related.

2. Speech delay may be related to genetics. There's is evidence that it might run in families.

3. There is no cure for autism.

4. Though you have not asked for - I feel it's my duty to keep you informed that both head banging and language delay are related to autism.

5. Breast feeding till 2.4 years does not cause behavioural problems.

6. As I have already suggested to you in my previous interaction, that, the best way to get rid of these tendencies is by not giving too much importance to them. So try not to show too much attention while he's head banging.

But if you still have a doubt regarding his behavioural issues, I suggest that you consult a clinical psychologist trained in pediatrics.

If you're from XXXXXXX or nearby I can even suggest you the right person.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth