Are fever and sore throat symptoms of flu?

Question
my 17 year old son woke up Friday with a fever (102.4) and sore throat. He slept most of the day. He had mild fever yesterday treated with Tylenol cold & flu. He has mild fever today but says his skin is burning. Do you think he has the flu?
Fri, 25 May 2018 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Eni 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most probably, Mononucleosis

Detailed Answer:
Dear patient,
From what you have described, your son may have mononucleosis, or as it is commonly know, 'Kissing disease'.
It is caused by a virus, and the main symptoms are sore throat, fever, skin rash/burning, swollen lymph nodes in the neck.
Tylenol is not the best treatment in this case, since your son will need some anti-inflammatory drug for his sore throat.
Advil 400mg three times per day would work better, if your son has no stomach problem. Otherwise, keep taking tylenol.
A thorough medical examination would be yield more accurate results, since there may be some similarities in presentation between flu, mononucleosis and strep throat, but the skin burning detail really caught my attention and made me think of mononucleosis.
Your son will get better around Tuesday/Wednesday.
Hope I have answered your question. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health!
Manoku Eni M.D.