• question-icon

Are ectopic heart beats during anxiety or physical activity normal?

Posted on Thu, 3 Aug 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Simple question:
How lightly is it to have an undiagnosed Long QT syndrome, even when I've seen cardiologists for the last 20 years for ectopics, low bloodpressure etc. I mean. Does one have to look specifically for LQTS, or is it sufficient to see cardiologists for other reasons such as rythm problematics.

Have done ultrasounds, ecg, resting and biking ecg, bloodpressure, 24hr ecg, 72hr ecg, week holter numerous times.

I just read on Google that LQTS is very much alike what I am experiencing. Such as getting chaotic rythm if scared, or full of adrenaline (i DO NOT mean elevated heartrate but CHAOTIC With no real rythm, just: b-bam-bb-bam-b-bambb instead of regular which is bam-bam- bam-bam bam-bam)
I also react to dentists tranquilizers anastesia or what to Call it, With low bloodpressure and heartrate almost to fainitng. Never did faint though.
So I avoid everything that is fun: Motorcycling, racecars, Circus, carnevals, rides on rollercoasters...planerides etc. Because it triggers my weird heartrythm, when it should only get higher- but goes into a stumbling arythmic thing.
So. Any chance I might have LQTS undetected all these years?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
My answer as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome back on HCM!

I understand your concern and would explain that your chaotic rhythm during anxiety or physical activity could be related to ectopic heart beats.

But, you should know that it is quite normal to have some ectopic heart beats during anxiety of physical activity in every normal person with a normal heart (resulting by the cardiac ultrasound). They are related to the increased levels of circulating adrenaline during those activities.

Considering the fact that all your previous cardiac tests have resulted normal, I would conclude that Long QT syndrome has been excluded in your clinical situation.

So, you have nothing to worry about! If this syndrome was present in you, it would have shown up in any of your previous tests.

But, all your tests have resulted normal and this is very reassuring for you, that nothing bad is going on.

Regarding the exaggerated reaction to dentist tranquilizers, I would explain that this would be explained by the fact that you are a sensitive person, with a sensitive autonomic nervous system, more susceptible to these substances.

All these reactions can be quite normal in a sensitive person.

So, there is nothing to worry about!

Dr. Internet is not always the best doctor, because the information is very wide and misleading.

Hope to have clarified some of your uncertainties!

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask me again!

Wishing good health,

Dr. Iliri

Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 12 hours later
It's Things like this:
http://www.myheart.org.uk/category/long-qt/
That makes me second Guess everything.
Can't understand how some of these are not diagnosed earlier.
But if you say that it would have been found on me if I had it, I trust you.

You should be a cardiologist in Norway. Really. We need dr like you here, that doesnt rush People out the door
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
My opinion as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

Your appreciation means a lot to me! I am really glad to have online patients like you!

Anyway, as a cardiologist, considering all your performed tests, I would like to reassure you that there is nothing to worry about Long QT syndrome, because it has been excluded by all your previous tests.

So, try to enjoy your life more without worrying too much for this hypothetical diagnosis.

It is not your case!

Hope to have been helpful!

Let me know about anything!

Wishing a nice weekend,

Dr. Iliri
Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist