Are calf and groin pain symptoms of pulmonary embolism?

Posted on Thu, 26 Nov 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I had a pain in my lower leg earlier in the week and then later on in the week had a pain in my groin area. I also cant stop burping. Would these be signs of pulmonary embolism
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No this is not pulmonary embolism

Detailed Answer:
pain in calf can be due to several causes like fatigue, neuropathy or muscle injury. It is not caused by pulmonary embolism. Also burping is most of the time due to gastritis. So I would suggest you following.
1. Avoid high fatty diet. Take Pan D one tablet daily.
2.For calf pain take Brufen tablet .
pulmonary embolism is due to prolong bed rest which causes DVT and when this thrombus goes in lung it causes pulmonary embolism.Patient has severe breathing problems.
So there is no chances that you have pulmonary embolism.
thanks

Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 18 minutes later
What about the pain in the groin? I have had some extended bed rest as i am suffering from a csf leak
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can be muscular

Detailed Answer:
pain in groin can be muscular. Brufen or any other pain killer with gel take care of this. Also hot water fomentation. Don't be afraid as some amount of groin pain can be there in prolong bed rest. If it is increasing and not relieved by pain then you need to see orthopaedic doctor.
thanks
Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement