• question-icon

Are benign skin rashes contagious?

Posted on Fri, 27 May 2016 in General Health
Question: hello...
My two little girls (8mos and 3 yrs) had a benign skin rash within the last 10 days, which accompanied a cold. I came up with one last Friday. It appears to have lost some intensity but still present. I have no other symptoms. Do you think it's related? Should I go see the doctor?

Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Wait for a couple of days first...

Detailed Answer:

I am sorry for the health situation you are going through.

1. The skin rash your little girls had following a cold is due to viral infection.

2. In your case, if no recent symptoms of cold, then, the rash could be related to allergy or contact dermatitis to something you have consumed or touched accordingly.
Have you started any new medication prior to rash appeared?

3. I advise to take OTC antihystaminic for the rash and wait until tomorrow. If the rash is still present or gets worst (even during the night), I highly recommend to go to ER and seek immediate medical help.

Wish fast recovery!
Dr.Albana
Dr. Albana Sejdini