Are Liddle syndrome, Cirrhosis and morbid obesity risk factors for a hip replacement surgery?

Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 10 Sep 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I was just told today that I need a total hip replacement. I had a very uncommon kind of heart attack called a SCAD, in December 22, 2017. I have not recovered from it yet. My cardiologist indicated my heart condition was just one of several risk factors for surgery These risk factors include:
1. Liddle Syndrom
2. Cirrhosis (Hep C infection which is cured) liver in good shape, regenerating, but cirrhosis still present
3. Morbid Obesity
4. SCAD
Feel in a Catch 22. I am in severe pain. Am I to sick for surgery to relieve that pain?
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:

Moderate risk for surgery

Detailed Answer:

I don't think the above mentioned risk factors are much of an issue to undergo a hip replacement.

Hip replacement is almost always necessary when the age crosses 55-60 years when every person has one or more co-morbid conditions.

So a moderate amount of risk is always involved in this surgery in every patient.

SCAD is the only major concerning factor and that is because its a recent one.

It would be safer to wait for another month and get a detailed cardiac and blood profile done before taking a final decision to undergo hip replacement.

Using a regional anesthesia (spinal/epidural) will reduce the anesthesia risks to a considerable extent.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Mahaveer Patil , Orthopaedic Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana