Angiogram with blocked and damaged arteries. Is quadruple bypass surgery the correct course of action?

Dr. Benard Shehu

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 11 Dec 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: 63 yo male Hx CAD for 10 years, likely acute MI 10 Years ago, no followup. Admitted to Kaiser WH for SOB, Monday 11/11/13 then transferred to Kaiser Sunset later in the day. Angiogram with blocked and damaged arteries not a candidate for Cardiologist Interventions i.e. Stents, Meds, Plans quadruple bypass tomorrow with a Dr Pfeiffer (SP?) want to know if your organization has any stats on mortality, morbidity in his his care or patient evaluations. Second opinion confirmed this is correct course of action. I am 1st cousin OB/GYN. Going to Kaiser Sunset now to see him.
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please refer to the following answers... Detailed Answer: Hi, Based on your medical data you are providing, I would suggest that the best treatment is to perform CABG (according to the ACC/AHA=American College of Cardiology and American Heart Association recommendations). Regarding the type of by-pass, it depends on the features provided by the angiography. Usually, such interventions have a mortality rate below 3 % (between 2-3%). The mortality depend from age, heart function, renal function, pulmonary disease ect. With regards Dr.Pfeffer, I do not know him personally, but, I would say that all the cardiac surgeon performing such complicated interventions are well trained and have adequate professional skillfulness. Hope it answered to your inquiries! If you have more questions, do not hesitate to write me back! I'd be happy to assist you further! Dr.Benard
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T