Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Angiogram with blocked and damaged arteries. Is quadruple bypass surgery the correct course of action?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 2254 Questions
63 yo male Hx CAD for 10 years, likely acute MI 10 Years ago, no followup. Admitted to Kaiser WH for SOB, Monday 11/11/13 then transferred to Kaiser Sunset later in the day. Angiogram with blocked and damaged arteries not a candidate for Cardiologist Interventions i.e. Stents, Meds, Plans quadruple bypass tomorrow with a Dr Pfeiffer (SP?) want to know if your organization has any stats on mortality, morbidity in his his care or patient evaluations. Second opinion confirmed this is correct course of action. I am 1st cousin OB/GYN. Going to Kaiser Sunset now to see him.
Posted Tue, 10 Dec 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please refer to the following answers... Detailed Answer: Hi, Based on your medical data you are providing, I would suggest that the best treatment is to perform CABG (according to the ACC/AHA=American College of Cardiology and American Heart Association recommendations). Regarding the type of by-pass, it depends on the features provided by the angiography. Usually, such interventions have a mortality rate below 3 % (between 2-3%). The mortality depend from age, heart function, renal function, pulmonary disease ect. With regards Dr.Pfeffer, I do not know him personally, but, I would say that all the cardiac surgeon performing such complicated interventions are well trained and have adequate professional skillfulness. Hope it answered to your inquiries! If you have more questions, do not hesitate to write me back! I'd be happy to assist you further! Dr.Benard
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor