Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Alcoholic, overweight, alcoholic hepatitis, liver function tests

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1579 Questions
my daughter is a recovering alcoholic with normal liver function readings but gammagt reading of 80 which will not reduce.she says that she is not drinking.she is aged 29 and overweight by approx. 2stones.she has had alcoholic hepatitis within the last 12 months but relapsed for 7days 6 weeks ago during which time she drank approx 250 units
Tue, 22 May 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

Thanks for posting your query.

Gamma GT is a very sensitive test and can be raised by something as simple as taking paracetamol regularly or taking alcohol for a long time resulting in chronic liver damage. The other cause are damage to the liver by hepatitis and alcoholic hepatitis (which she had a relapse sometimes back) may be responsible for the raised gamma GT levels.

Did you get her AST and ALT levels done after the hepatitis relapse?

You have mentioned that she is overweight. It is hence important to rule out is non alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH) which resembles alcoholic liver disease, but occurs in people who drink little or no alcohol. XXXXXXX is a condition in which liver enzymes are often raised. A liver biospy is needed to rule out XXXXXXX Reducing body weight and obesity and hyperlipidemia (if any) helps in XXXXXXX

Please discuss this possibility with a hepatologist and get the AST/ ALT levels and a liver biopsy (if needed) done.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you good health.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor