Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

Abdominal pain, got diarrhea with blood in it. took imodium. Should I consult a doctor?

Sep 2012
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 1416 Questions
Diarrhea came on 8 hours post a meal of pizza with ice cream for dessert. 8 hours later still have light diarrhea with some blood, lower abdominal cramps but no nausea. I have taken Imodium, should I seek other help or wait to see if it clears.
Posted Fri, 1 Feb 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 39 minutes later
Thank you for posting a query.

Look, you are suffering from bacterial diarrhea. It is complicated with presence of blood.

Immodium is an antidiarrheal agent. It just decreases diarrhea. But, it do not have any effect on bacterial growth.

So, to prevent bacterial infecteion and disease progression, you need a broad spectrum antibiotic like ciprofloxacin or cefpodoxime group of drug.

Beside this, you should take adequate amount of water. It would be better to have ORS.

To decrease abdominal cramps, you can take antispasmodic agents.

A pantoprazole group of drug should be taken. An enzyme solution should also be considered.

If you feel any weakness, muscle cramp, increased diarrhea, you should go to Emergency department of a hospital.

Lastly, consult with your treating doctor or general physician for detailed prescription.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor