Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

5.5 months baby, premature, diagnosed early stage of cerebral palsy. Suggest best place for treatment in India

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1982
Answered : 698 Questions
Please suggest the best place in India where we can get good treatment for her.

Incase below details help you to answer precise

1. Current age 5.5 months, born on 29 week gestation and had strormy NICU stay for 1 and half month. Her stem cells were preserved during delivery.
2. At 3 months doctor suggested MRI scan which reveals PVL
3. She has not yet developed steady head control or giving social smile
4. We reported inconsolable crying, little back arching with stiff leg muscles & pusing her toung out during this course at 4 months, doctor prescribed Gardenal 3ml twice daily and 1/4 of lonazep MD 0.25 once at bed time.
5. Our pediatrician has diagnosed early stage of cerebral palsy and suggested us to go for therapies through a good medical institute.
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Taher Kagalwala 7 hours later

Thank you for posting the query.

I agree with the pediatrician's diagnosis. The child will need a dedicated team of specialists including a developmental pediatrician, a very good physiotherapy department, general pediatrician, and reference to eye, ENT and other specialties.

It will help me if you can give us the area or location you are from so that I can suggest some concrete names to you. Also, please let me know if you would be willing to re-locate to a big city and if you would be able to bear the costs of such a shift, as big cities are not only more expensive to live in, the treatment costs will also be bigger.

Awaiting your response.


Dr. Taher Kagalwala
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: 5.5 months baby, premature, diagnosed early stage of cerebral palsy. Suggest best place for treatment in India 1 hour later
Hello Dr. Taher Kagalwala,

Currently i am located in Kolkata, West Bengal. Yes, i am ready to locate to other big cities in India temporarily for the treatment.

Please suggest me the hospital names and doctors.

Thanks and Regards
Answered by Dr. Taher Kagalwala 37 minutes later

Have you visited Institute of Child Health in Kolkata? They should have a complete rehab team however it is public sector hospital.

Among the best institutes for this kind of rehabilitation are the All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi and the PGI Medical Education and Research Center at Chandigarh in North India, and the All India Institute of Physical Medicine at Mumbai, where they help rehabilitation of spastic children once the medical issues are out of the way.

Hope this helps.

Taher, MD.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: 5.5 months baby, premature, diagnosed early stage of cerebral palsy. Suggest best place for treatment in India 1 hour later

We are looking for a good medical institute(be it anywhere in india) who can help us in identifying her neurological line and proper treatment through therapies/others aligned to that, and not looking for after medication re-rehabilitation for her as she is too young(5 1/2months).
We found few details about institute of child development(ICD) delhi over internet. Can you please provide me more details on the ICD and how good it will be for my baby.

Answered by Dr. Taher Kagalwala 26 hours later
Hello again,

Institute of child development( ICD ) is a good institute which deals with child rehabilitation.

Your child primarily needs rehabilitative therapy with a proper team of experts which includes Pediatric neurologist, physiotherapist and pediatrician.

You can go to any institute which has all these under one roof. Best would be Post graduate institute of medical sciences, Chandigarh.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor