32 weeks pregnant. Ultrasound showed grade lll placenta. What does this mean?

Dr. Sree Gouri SR

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 9 Jan 2013 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi doc, Requesting you to kindly go through the Ultrasound report and please advice. we are tensed due to Placenta maturuity. Kindly provide your opinion based on the below report. Also tell us whether our baby is doing fine and is there any thing to worry..
Fetal Weight 2.1 kg
Fetal Heart Rate 133bpm
The Placenta is anterior and shows grade III Maturity. No Evidence of Previa.
Internal os is closed. Cervical length measures 3.6 cms. Liquor is adequate(AFI-11.0cm)
No Obvious gross fetal anomalies noted.
Conclusion:
Single live fetus in breech presentation corresponding with 33.2 weeks of gestational age. The fetal growth is consistant with period of amenorrhea.
LMP 7-5-2012. GA(LMP) 32.5 Weeks EDD(LMP) 11-02-2013
GA(USG) 33.2 Weeks EDD( USG) 7-2-2013
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later

Usually grade lll placenta is expected after 37 weeks of gestation.
Grade lll placenta at early gestation indicates rapid aging of the placenta.
It can be seen in conditions like high maternal blood pressure, gestational diabetes etc.
As you are having history of blood pressure that can be one possible cause for this.
In these cases there is possibility for fetal growth retardation, decrease in amniotic fluid level etc.
But in your case though placenta is showing grade lll maturity, fetal weight, liquor and other parameters are normal.
So now you can continue the pregnancy with regular antenatal checkups and ultrasound examinations to monitor the growth of the baby.
Regular increase in the growth of the fetus and adequate liquor indicate that the placenta is working properly and supplying adequate nutrients to the fetus.
Along with this strict control of blood pressure, taking nutritious diet and adequate liquids are essential.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow up: Dr. Sree Gouri SR 9 hours later
Dear Doc, Thankyou very much for your positive and quick revert.. It has relieved a lot of tension.
Would just require a bit of info :
How old is my baby at today date and by how many weeks a baby can live on his own before the full 9 month cycle if there is early delivery requirement.
Also is the Fetal Heart Rate 133bpm in normal range as earlier it used to be around 155-160 Approx.
How common is Grade lll placenta at early gestation? and till what time it can be continued. Thanks a lot.
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 3 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,

As per your last menstrual period your gestational age by today is 33 weeks and 1 day.
Usually fetal lungs will mature by 32 weeks, so after that the fetus can live in the external environment. But good neonatal care is needed in this case.
Normal fetal heart rate ranges from 120 to 160 bpm.
From 30 to 32 weeks fetal heart rate decreases and by 36 to 37 weeks it will come to 130 to 140 range.
And also heart beat will vary from time to time. So it also depends on the baby movements at time of ultrasound etc.
Compared with normal pregnancies grade lll placenta is common in pregnancies with medical complications as I told before.
If the baby growth, liquor etc are normal and blood pressure is under control the pregnancy can be continued till term.
Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.