Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
179 Doctors are Online

14 year old. Can somatotropin be taken height without side effect?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 589 Questions
I am a 14 year old boy, and I was wondering what I could do to grow taller than my potential height (which is somewhere near 175 cm)
I heard that somatotropin makes you grow taller but on the other hand it may be XXXXXXX for the endocrine system, and it probably may not even be used on people like me (only on people with severe problems, like genetic diseases and muscle/bone problems or even gland problems)
Posted Fri, 19 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Guru 1 hour later

Thank you for consulting HealthcareMagic!
Yes, you are in saying that somatotropin a growth hormone analogue makes you grow taller but is XXXXXXX for the endocrine system unless specifically indicated in people with certain genetic conditions, some endocrine problems and bone problems. It should not be indicated to you.

After the fusion of growth plates of the long bones (Epiphyses), increase in height stops. This may vary from 12 to 18 years. I personally feel that you are of good height for your age and would be of good height. However, you can try the following measures:

Exercises like rope skipping, jogging, stretching exercises might help

Improve your meal intake to 5 to 6 times a day

Get proper and enough sleep.

Most importantly, avoid any over the counter drugs which say that they would increase your height.

Hope it helps!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor