discoloring of Skin

Hi doctor,
I am an African woman aged 49 and live in Dar es salaam, Tanzania. I have noticed discoloring of my skin on several places. I have a patch on my shoulder which is spotted like a cheetah skin, it is about 4cm sq in size, a small patch of about i sq cm on my arm which is about two shades lighter than my skin colour, a patch on my thigh about 3cm sq, several patches on the small of my back which is about 7cm long and 2 cm wide.

I visited a dermatologist and he quickly diagnosed it as Vitiligo and the treatment he has prescribed is pretty harsh, application of a cream in the morning where i am to sit in the 10am sun for 1 hour wearing UV sunglasses as without it my eyesight could be damaged. He warned that i need to apply the cream directly and precisely on the affected areas as if it went beyond those areas they would be permanently damaged/discolored.

My research over the net describes Vitiligo as milk white pigmentation of the skin. Mine is not milk white. Could you kindly advice me what I could be suffering from and how I should treat it?
Asked On : Mon, 10 Jan 2011