Worried about side effects of Hydrea. Had aortic valve replacement and knee replacement

61 yrs old female. Aortic valve replacement 2003. Bi-lateral knee replacement 2007..Et since 2009. Dr wants to start Hydrea. Platelet count is 857,000.Varies monthly but is in 750,000 and up range. Had second opinion from Dr Handin of Dana Farber in 2010. He said I can wait on Hydrea till 1,000,000 count is reached. My Dr. from Cancer Care of Maine said I am 61 and should start now. Worried of side effects of med and also any interaction with porcine heart valve . Please help advise. Dr. said once I start I can not stop drug Sunday H.
Asked On : Tue, 7 Aug 2012