Widespread endometriosis. Severely uncomfortable monthly cycle. Can Visanne taken? Advice

My son's wife has recently been diagnosed with endometriosis. It would seem to be widespread throughout her abdominal cavity, affecting pan abdominal, rectal, ovarian and uterine sites. Her monthly cycle is usually uncomfortable. She has had to be rushed to the ER, twice in the past eight months for severe discomfort . As a nurse, myself, she asks my opinion, before starting any new therapy. However, I do not work in gyneagology, so am not really familiar with current treatments, I would like to provide her with sound advise. Could you please provide me with any information about the medication Visanne, a product of Bayer Pharmacueticals, that I could pass along.

Thanking you in advance,

Barb Dubois, B.Sc N., R.N.,
Asked On : Mon, 22 Apr 2013