Why you can't have any food while on ciprofloxacin IV drip ?

I was having fever , vomiting and stooling at the same time, and was rushed to the hospital. The doctor admitted me same night. After some lab tests and scan, i was told I had uterine fibroid, which was deteriorating, and some infections. Then treatment with ciprofloxacin IV drip, alongside other drugs commenced. I noticed that as soon as I m given the Cip drip, I begin to feel this internal cold. The cold will be so much that the my teeth will be clasping, the whole bed that I m lying on will be shaking. This usually lasted for 30minutes, after which, I ll start sweating, such that I ll need plenty of ventilation. Yet, the symptoms that got me in the hospital, persisted. At a time, I felt this treatment was not good for my system and requested for an alternative drug but the doctor refused changing my medication. He says its the normal way of how cipro drip works. I even had anaemia as a result of this, as my PCV dropped to 17, I was given 3 pints of blood . Let me quickly add that when this treatment was going on, I was told not eat any food, since I was vomiting. Is this really right for someone s health? Thank You. Tonia, Lagos, Nigeria.
Asked On : Mon, 6 Jun 2011