Why are periods lasting for monthd? Ultrasound found polp. Performed DNC. Help?

Hi, I ve been having issues with my periods. This time around it s lasting 15 days... Going strong. In the past I have expietenced two separate occasions where it lasted 50+ days and 60+ days. I ve had many ultrasounds and my obgyn found a polp and performed a dnc this past December to remove it.... Everything was great until This past month. HELP?!?!?
Asked On : Sun, 1 Jul 2012
Mar 2014
Hello and welcome,

I understand your situation and also want to reassure you that this is how most of the women with subtle hormonal disturbances present. So this is not unusual. Please do not worry.

The polyps occur due to estrogen excess. When a D and C was performed, the doctor must have curetted and removed most of the endometrial lining. Hence the bleeding deceased and you were fine. Now it has regrown after all these days and you are having symptoms.

I suggest that you ask your gynecologist for a histopathology report of the endometrial sample and polyp.
You will need hormone therapy. It will be decided based on the histopath report as well as your blood levels of thyroid. Discuss these with your doctor. If thyroid is normal, progesterone preparations from day 15 are usually needed and have good results.
Do not worry. I know that you are in trouble because of the bleeding but it will go away with treatment.
Hope this satisfies your query.
Thanks for using HCM.
Feel free to ask any more questions that you may have.
Dr Madhuri Bagde
Consultant Obstetrician and Gynecologist