Why am I having irregular periods that lasts for more than a week ?

I just turned 48, still sexually active and have always been on the pill. Besides the obvious, it helped keep my periods regular. I have been off the pill for approx a year and at first my periods were somewhat the same. Lately its a day here, a week there and now having one that wont quit. Its been eight days now and i just had a seven dayer 2 weeks ago. Also, maybe its a coincedence, but the past few times it seems to start after a couple of days of sex. Whats going on?
Asked On : Tue, 29 Mar 2011