What is when the ankle become swollen warm and red ?

what is when the ankle become swollen ,is warm and red? please tell me what could be a swollen ankle, with redness and warm to touch?
Asked On : Tue, 8 Feb 2011
welcome to HealthcareMAGIC FORUM
it seems the joint is inflamed
it may be osteoarthritis or infective
please consult orthopaedic surgeon and follow advice
Ayurveda Specialist Dr. Bhagwan Dass's  Response
hello roseslager,
welcome to healthcare magic..
a swollen ankle with reddness and warmth to touch could be due to many reasons..
its basically all signs of inflammation in the ankle joint..according to ayurveda its pattik vata rakta
i would also like to know if there was any recent injury or same condition in any other joint in the body..
dr. aanchal

Ayurveda Specialist Dr. Rajesh Lakhanpaul's  Response
Red hot swollen part is inflammation which can be due to many reasons. It can be some infection or due to injury to joint or arthritis but not to be ignored. First thing is to check any infective locus and reduce the swelling so as there is no further damage to the joint. Have analgesic anti inflammatory initially and if infection is diagnosed antibiotic may also be needed. Amongst herbal medicines I would recommend tab. punarnava guggul Tab Myostaal 1tds with hot water and rest to joint.