What does my blood sugar report indicate ?

Hello Dr., I am 29 and my height is 165cms & weight is 63Kgs. I have been recently diagnosed that my Blood sugar fasting is 106 and PP is 146. I would like to know whether I am deemed to be diabetic or likely to become diabetic in the near future? Also please suggest some ways to avoid diabetes and have a strict control over it. I also have PCOs problem and had a missed abortion in April 2011. Can I become pregnant again? Thanks & Regards, Jayanthi
Asked On : Mon, 13 Jun 2011
Hello.Welcome to HCM forum.Your sugar levels indicate you are in the initial range of impaired fasting glucose and impaired glucose tolerance suggesting that you are a pre diabetic with strong potential for overt diabetes.Women with PCOD have adverse pregnancy and birth outcome whether assisted reproductive technology is used to conceive or not.Women with disorder are likely to have preeclampsia and gestational diabetes and their babies are more likely to be large for gestational age with low APGAR score.Women with PCOD have fewer chances of conceiving.Normal women get 12 in a year while PCOD females get 3to 4 chances in a year to get pregnant due to delayed periods.Do regular exercises,reduce your weight and be physically very active and take proper treatment from your GYNEC to get and then sustain your pregnancy.Thanks and best of luck to you.
OBGYN Dr. Nidhi Sharma Chauhan's  Response
welcome to health care magic
pcod is a very common problem now a days.the good news is that there has been a lot of research on pcod with pretty good results. do not worry. women with pcos , which is in true sense a metabolic syndrome is asociated with certain disorders. women with pcos tend to have deranged blood sugar levels, but do not worry there is a treatment available. you must understand that in pcos there is insulin resistance and the first step in treatment is lifestyle modification which includes a certain set of things like weight loss etc. you can become pregnant but u need to get a couple of tests done for that. mail me so i can guide you in detail or go visit a gynaecologist.
General & Family Physician Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale's  Response
THe blood report indicates you have borderline diabetis .
YOu should consult diabetologist ,get investigated To asses need of medicines.
Start having healthy lifestyle with- low calory diet ,regular exercises,optimal sleep,active life.
Yes,PCOD is one of consiquences of diabetis .so control of blood suger is desired .
Please dont worry, treatment for PCOD is avaiable, you will definately have a bony baby with a proper treatment plan ,& cincere follow up by you!
Wish you all the best!
Thank you.
Orthopaedic Surgeon Dr. Aashish Raghu's  Response
Welcome to Healthcare Magic
Good Day
Accordingly your PP sugar is in the Impaired blood sugar range. If it had crossed 200 it's Diabetes. Nothing to worry. This just means that the hormones that are abnormal in PCOS are creating an Insulin resistant state which is making the value high. You need to stop eating junk food, fried food, pastries, cakes, colas. Eat fresh fruit and vegetables everyday. Add green leafy vegetables everyday. Drink plenty of water. Exercise for 40 minutes everyday by brisk walking. Don't forget, it is diet and exercise which fights Diabetes the most. Keep your blood sugar under check. I ideally you have to do an Oral Glucose Tolerance Test where the right amount of Glucose is given before the tests are done. Regarding being able to conceive you can with/without ovulation assistance. The cause of miscarriage must be known. For that you must discuss with your Gynaecologist. Kindly keep your Blood sugar values under control and you should be fit and fine.