What could be the cause of continuous tearing from the eye with inability to withstand normal daylight ?

Dear Dr., My mom is 70 yr old and has dry eye problem. She uses Tears Naturale eye drop ( artificial tears ) for more than 5 years. But, since last year, if she read long time, watch TV, looks things under strong light or get strong smell /fragrance she got eye sting, sore, tearing and head ache. Since last month condition getting worse and she even cannot withstand normal daylight. These days, she has to keep herself away from reading a single line or glancing to TV. She has to wear sunglasses all time. There is continuous tearing once she use her eye without sunglasses. (Her eyes are regularly tested and wearing the correct bifocal glasses. ) She went to some eye specialists doctors here but they couldn’t give correct treatment to cure her eye problem. So, what she wants to know is whether her current problem is due to dry eye or some other infection. She wishes she could read a little bit . I would be much obliged to you if you would kindly give her advice what to do for her eye problems. Regards, Myo
Asked On : Mon, 19 Mar 2012