Took microgynon. No withdrawal bleeding after stopping the medication. Why?

I take microgynon 30 3 weeks at a time and then break for a week and always get a period during this break. I took the pill for around 5 weeks without a break and now that I've taken a break from it I've not experienced a withdrawal bleed and I'm getting very worried. Could you offer me an explanation? I've taken one test and it was negative. Just want to know what's going on with my body, I've been taking the pill almost 3 years with no problems like this.
Asked On : Sat, 20 Apr 2013
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Microgynon is a commonly used oral contraceptive. There is a form of oral contraception where essentially it is taken for 3 months so that these women have only 4 periods a year.

It is likely that the prolonged use of the medication resulted in the delay you are experiencing. Though it is understandably alarming to you, it is a result of a slight hormonal imbalance and your period will return.

I hope this helps