Took Femodene for heavy periods with cramps. Pain due to coil insertion. Can I take mini pills?

Just seen my Dr and I am very stressed. I have been on Femodene contraceptive pill since I was sixteen because of my periods were a nightmare, Femodene was a godsend. My periods used to be quite heavy and made me ill and depressed for days on end, also I used to get bad mood swings causing me to shout at everyone. I once booked a party (my own) but couldn’t go in the end because my periods ruined it all and made me very ill. I used to get bad headaches that made me throw up, and severe stomach cramps that I could hardly walk. I had my son eight years ago and tried to stay off the pill to see if that would make a difference. I had been told it wasn’t so bad after having children. There was no difference at all, in fact it went back to what it was, I couldn’t even track it on a calendar as it is so unpredictable and irregular. So I went back onto Femodene again and things got better for a while. Now my Dr wants me to come off and go onto something else because of my age, I’m 39. I would like to go on the mini pill as I have checked all my options. She is abdement that I must have a coil inserted. I don’t want this, but she is insistent I must have it. Apparently it’s inserted for five years like having a smear. I am scared to death as I hate smears, the last one I had hurt me very much and was a real ordeal. I want to go on the mini pill but I feel I am not being listened to. I said I would try this before I considered the coil. There are two types of mini and I am worried that if one doesn’t suite me, then she will force me to have the coil, and this is something I am desperate to avoid. Can you advise me on what I should do please? I am scared sick and don’t want to return to the hell of being ill and all over the place.
Asked On : Thu, 5 Jul 2012