Titanium rod and screws placed in tibia after fracture, removed after 1 year, discomfort after rigorous workout, pain while sitting and standing, X-ray showed swelling. Advice?

Hi. I had a titanium rod and 4 screws placed in my tibia 10 years ago after a compound fracture . My recovery was swift and uneventful and I had the screws removed after a year. I started a rigorous workout program 6 months ago, including aerobics , weight training, yoga and walking. All was going great until about 6 weeks ago when I began experiencing discomfort in that ankle/heel area. I pretty much stopped exercising (and have been using ice and elevation) for the past 3 weeks hoping it would improve, thinking it might be a sprain . It is getting progressively worse in a hurry and is now extremely swollen on the outside of the ankle around to my heel. It is painful not only when I stand, but even when I m sitting still!! I saw my PCP last week. X-rays showed swelling but no fracture. She referred me to an ortho and, of course, I will return to the group who did the original surgery. My question(s) is(are): could the rod be giving me trouble after this much time and with the introduction of strenuous exercise?; would removing the rod be an option after 10 years?; what is the recovery period for removal? I really hope you can give me some advice soon ... thank you for your time. Penny
Asked On : Sun, 3 Jun 2012