Tenderness in gum near wisdom tooth. Swollen lymph nodes underneath. Solution to alleviate pain?

I have a friend who is currently out of town on business who has just called complaining of an issue. Apparently over the last few days he s had tenderness in the gum line on the right interior of his jaw near where his wisdom tooth used to be. He says over the last 24 hours, he thinks he s scratched the sore gum area and now has swollen lymph nodes underneath it. I told him he s probably managed to infect the scratch, but he says it feels like there may be a small bone or tooth fragment poking through because there s a spot on the gums that s a little pointy. He s not slated to be back until Tuesday and at the moment is in Canada (he lives in Las Vegas). What can I tell him to do to alleviate the pain until he s home and can see someone?
Asked On : Thu, 21 Mar 2013