Swelling and pain in the knee while straightening. Pain in the calf and ankle. Cause?

No direct trauma to my knee , I don t remember twisting funny or anything.Fri nite,right knee seems. To be a little sore. Sat morning a little swelling and very very sore when I try to straighten it or bend it. By sat lete evening my knee, calf and ankle are twice there normal size and pain hot areas or reason to think clot.went to hsp and they rec ortho.what could I have done and how bad could it potentially be?
Asked On : Thu, 4 Apr 2013