Spiral break of tibia, ankles injured. Placed titanium rod. Can I start to gym?

After a spiral break of my tibia and shatteriing of both ankles in an auto accident 8 years ago I had surgery to place a titanium rod placed in my tibia, and plates and screws in both ankles. I am opverweight and have been having excruciating in one ankle. I am thinking about joining gym but am unsure what machines will be better - I have been told that I should only be exercising in water but that is not an option at this time. Can you recommend the best machines to avoid further damage or pain to my ankle leg (and knee )? Thank you!
Asked On : Sun, 14 Oct 2012