Severe pain in the lower abdomen, bloating and constipation. Fibroids found. Diagnosed with IBS. Done CT scan, blood tests. What could be the reason?

I am a 46 year old woman. About two years ago I began to have severe attacks sharp pain in lower rite abdomen. would last for a few hours. simular to period cramp but much mor severe and debilitating until it passed. Not always during my period. Saw my gyn and she found numerous fibroids but said they were small and not causing my symptoms which also by now include some irregular bleeeding but nothing extreme and bloating and constipation. she felt it was GI related and i went that route. Had all possible GI test done, blood work,upper, lower gi, ct scan of abdomen as well as gall bladder . all normal. was told i had IBS with constipation and treated as such until about 2 months ago when we revisited the fibroid issue as symptoms persisted and worsened. my abdomen is reall distended and hard most all the time now and tender to the touch. I had a back surgery 15 years ago and as a result have always had some low back pain but now it is quite severe. My GYN says my fibroids have grown some but still feels they are too small to likly be the cause of symptoms but has ordered a lapriscopy to take a look. I m told the ultrasound shows them inside the uterus.. I suffer from all the bulk type symptoms of fobroids. Can you offer any opinion regarding my fibroid issue as it relates to size and symptoms.
Asked On : Mon, 16 Apr 2012