Severe pain in left concha usually at night. Had recently used Qtip to clean inside the canal. Any thoughts?

Periodically I experience severe pain in my left concha, it feels like an ice pick has been driven in. This usually occurs at night however recently it happened when I used a Qtip to clean just inside the canal and then again last night when I rubbed my ear. I feel I have a good tolerance for pain but when this happens I would rate it 7-8/10. Any thoughts?? I have never asked my PCP about this but it does seem to be more frequent. Thank you.
Asked On : Fri, 7 Dec 2012