Severe muscular pain that seems to be internal and centered around belly button after starting abdominal exercises. Cause of concern?

I started doing abdominal exercises about a week ago. Around the same time I began to experience severe muscular pain in that area (which I expected) but also pain that feels more internal. The pain was centered around my belly button and was so bad I could barely sit up. Should I be concerned? The pain has decreased but when I try to do even one sit-up the pain is unbearable and I still feel mild pain in that area, particularly when physically active.
Asked On : Fri, 21 Dec 2012