Relapsing active u colitis. Have lot of gas, constipation, slightly diabetic. Having rowasa 3gm, cortisone 5mg, isphagula. Advice?

DEAR DOC CHARLES
I AM HAVING ACTIVE U. COLITIS NOW FOR ALMOST 3 YEARS. PRESENTLY I AM TAKING 3 GMS OF ROWASA DAILY. I KEEP HAVING A RELAPSE EVERY 3 TO 6 MONTHS. I ALSO TAKE MESACOL ANEAMA REGULARLY ABOUT TWICE A WEEK.
ABOUT 20 DAYS AGO I WAS PUT ON CORTISONE 30 MG GRADUALLY TAPERED DOWN TO 10 CURRENTLY. LIKELY TO BE REDUCED TO 5MG.
I HAVE A LOT OF GAS AND SEVERE CONSTIPATION FOR WHICH I TAKE ISPPHAGULA 3TEASPOONS BUT TO NOT MUCH AVAIL.
WHAT IS A SAFE LAXATIVE AND CAN I CONTINUE TAKING 5 MG CORTISONE TO KEEP INFLAMATION IN CHECK.
I AM 74 YRS OLD LIVING IN INDIA AND AM SLIGHTLY DIABETIC.
PL. ADVISE AND THANKS
Asked On : Mon, 15 Apr 2013