Reduced platelet count during pregnancy. Had the same symptom with the previous pregnancy. What could be the reason?

Hi i am 16 weeks pregnant and my platelet count is continuously decreasing, my current reading is 66 which is far below the normal range of 150. My heamoglobin is alo hovering around 10.3 with RBC at 3.73. i had low platelet count in my last pregnancy but it was in the 8th month and at the time of c -section my count was 50 and right after pregnancy they started to rise and my reading came at 170. i am quite worried with these readings. Please advise what should be done
Asked On : Thu, 9 Aug 2012
Hi Waseem,
Welcome to healthcare magic!
Probably you have platelet destruction induced by pregnancy as can occur in some patients who have pre-eclampsia/eclampsia, and a fraction of them get HELLP Syndrome.
HELLP syndrome is a life-threatening pregnancy complication usually considered to be a variant of preeclampsia. Both conditions usually occur during the later stages of pregnancy, or sometimes after childbirth.

HELLP syndrome is diagnosed by these components-

H (hemolysis, which is the breaking down of red blood cells),
EL (elevated liver enzymes) and
LP (low platelet count).
So get your Liver function test done and BP monitored along with urine protein levels just to rule in/out the HELLP, because early diagnosis and management has survival advantage for mother and child.
Or it may be idiopathic thrombotic thrombocytopenia which is a disease of diverse etiology
It may be a Thrombotic thrombocytopenia also which is due to a faulty enzyme in the blood causing trapping the platelets and lysing them.
You need a physical examination by your physician and get base line investigations like Electrocardiogram, Complete Blood Counts, Renal Function Test, Liver Function Test, Fasting and Post-Prandial Blood Sugar, Ultrasound Abdomen, Urine Compete Examination and noting the BP..
This work up is expected to detect the underlying problem and help a definite treatment to be started.

I hope this advise would be helpful for you.

Still if you have any queries or doubts, please write me back,
I would be happy to solve them.

Wish you a great health!